Thursday, February 7, 2008

Pretty Pink Bow

Lately, I find that I am drawn more and more to independent films. I can still be drawn in by those commercials for blockbuster hits. I even like to watch them. But, the ones that seem to touch a part in me are almost always the other. I find that they are a lot more true to life. They show more of what we here in the real world experience. Not to mention that they aren't as predictible. Half the time I find that I am able to figure out the story of a movie 1/3 of the way in. Today I watched two indie films and a major studio production back to back (probably way too much tv time...but I digress). The script, dialogue and even the cinematography are different between the two types of films. You can actually see the difference in the skin tone of the actors in these movies. In the major studio production, a lot of time was spent on getting the perfect lighting (and I suspect some airbrushing) to make the actors seem as if they don't have any flaws, where as in the indie films you could see the way a real live human being looks without hours of hair and make-up. You could see blemishes, flaws, bruises and skin discoloration just to name a few. For me it seems that indie movies often tell the gritty, the ugly, and the painful stories. They are thought provoking and delicious. They dare to leave questions unanswered and ends that are frayed. They don’t always get wrapped up in a nice little box at the end and presented to the audience for that feel good effect.

I’d like to live in that world, where everything works out and there is no strife that can’t be fixed in 90 minutes. Where you can meet, fall in love, have a falling out and then in the end have the grand gesture and the happily ever after. That scenario can be applied to all manner of things. You can have an accident, be paralyzed from the waist down, but with determination…you will walk again and the girl/guy will be by your side. Or even where there is some sort of major epidemic ie. tidal wave, sudden freeze etc. that strikes the earth and yet it all works out in the end.
Pretty. Pink. Bow.

No comments:

About Me

My photo
Learning as I grow and growing as I learn.